Stubborn Alpaca at the Show

Discussion in 'Showing' started by gdutcher, Nov 28, 2005.

1. gdutcher

gdutcher Guest

This is really about the value of the Camelid Handler Designation.

I noticed, at the last Alpaca show I attended, a new owner that could not get his Alpaca moving toward his class, which was ready to start. Every time he pulled the Alpaca cushed and he was rather concerned that he would never be able to show his young Alpaca. The manager of the farm where this young man bought his Alpacas (who also thinks Marty's techniques won't work on a large farm) just chalked the problem up to a fear of gates. To me the problem was a mass of people between the poor Alpaca and the show ring. Since I knew them I offered my assistance. I simply asked people to move away to give the Alpaca some space. I adjusted the lead to the side of the head and used some gentle signals to ask him to come away from the crowd. The Alpaca got up and fairly easily followed me to a long runway. I worked with him a little and then explained to the owner the techniques and the reasons why. He later told me that he used the techniques with great success the rest of the day. Believe me he was very grateful as among other winners this young Alpaca went on to take first place and a Reserve Color Championship.

The really neat thing is that this young man, and new Camelid farmer, originally had a very bad taste about Camelidynamics and is now a complete convert. I could certainly see an eventual cry for the "Camelid Handler" when difficult owners need help with their Alpacas!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2005
  2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. gdutcher

gdutcher Guest

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.