Llama Eye Injury

Discussion in 'Medical' started by AnimalMom, Jun 12, 2023.

1. AnimalMom

AnimalMom Associate Member

Hello,
    I've got a 10 year old llama that I bought in November 2021. She had the eye injury before I bought her. Apparently she was poked in the eye while grazing. Their vet had said to leave it alone. The past 6 months it has become more swollen and the past few days more discharge has been draining from it.
    I understand there are vets on this forum. I know you can't diagnose but would love your opinion on how you might treat her eye. I'm taking her to my vet this week and he is not very knowledgeable with llamas, but he's the only one in my area. I would appreciate any advice or questions I might ask my vet.
    Do you recommend removing the eye? Can the pressure cause damage to the other eye? Is this very serious/can complications result if nothing is done to her eye?
    Again, I fully understand you cannot diagnose her. I would like to hear your opinions, possible questions to ask my vet and have as much knowledge going in to see this vet as possible.
    Thank you so much!
    Melissa Winkley

Attached Files:

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. AnimalMom

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. jchickering

jchickering CAMELIDynamics Consultant

5. docdennis

docdennis Associate Member

6. docdennis

docdennis Associate Member

7. AnimalMom

8. AnimalMom

9. AnimalMom

10. AnimalMom