Feeding during drought

Discussion in 'Llama Packing' started by Malbitz, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Malbitz

Malbitz CAMELIDynamics Consultant

Here in the PNW we are experiencing a very long dry summer which has resulted in few grazing opportunities for my herd, which means less exercise. In normal conditions I have found that I can allow my herd to eat the grass from the feeders as free choice. But I am noticing that with the lack of grazing they stand in the barn and eat orchard grass all day. That has resulted in a spike in weight for half my herd. Does anyone have any advice on how to limit their intake while making sure they get enough? I have 12 camelids, so it is not feasible to feed them each a set amount separately. One idea is to only allow them to eat for a couple of hours in the morning and keep them out of the barn until morning comes again. Any advice is appreciated.

Marla

2. Margolit

Margolit Well-Known Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.