Changing bandages without restraint

Discussion in 'Medical' started by Marta Blaze, Jun 16, 2023.

1. Marta Blaze

Marta Blaze Associate Member

I wanted to share this breakthrough with the community. Our 9 month old Alpaca boy got attacked by an off leash dog almost 4 weeks ago. The dog breached our fence while we were in the process of installing our electric fence in the pasture. He came on our land and attacked our little dude. The wound was quite big on his shoulder ( about 5 inches across and 9 inches down). The vet was able to reattach some of this skin but the rest would have to grow back. We thought we might lose him that first week. He’s doing much better now.
    For the first 3 weeks, we would have one person at the halter and one person holding his hips to administer his injections and change the bandages. I’ve been reading Marty’s book and kept thinking that there has to be a more humane way. I’ve been thinking about this for days and yesterday i decided to try to change his bandages on my own without restraint. it took a lot longer ( about 45 minutes) but he didn’t buck, he wasn’t upset and I was able to put the bandages on way better than restrained. I would walk around the small barn and when he would let me be close I would do each piece of my job. Taking the shirt off, cutting the old bandage off, clean his wound, administer the bandage then wrap him back up. I tried to remain low down on one knee so that he could see my eyes and I was at hig height and not looming over him. I just wanted to share this positive experience and man, am I proud! I’m also happy that I can now do this without causing anyone stress. He’s doing much better running around with his buddies now and the fence is all done!

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Marta Blaze

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. Marta Blaze