Camp Cria

Discussion in 'Showing' started by Tiffany Miller, Mar 13, 2007.

1. As a service to the small ranchers in our area Karin Finch, of White Oak Alpacas, and I have developed Camp Cria. It is a 6-week weaning and training service meant to provide a safe environment where the cria can run, play and bond with other newly weaned crias while being handled and trained by me, a Camelidynamics Practitioner, in preparation for the show ring.

The first week that the cria is on ranch everything is low-key. Because being away from mom is scary our focus is to calmy reassure them of their new routine while they are meeting new friends and bonding.

The second week I start hands-on work. I begin slowly with an introduction to handling and work into haltering, leading and using obstacles. Our lessons are three times a week. I work with them in a group.

By week six we are ready for the final class-a Mock Show. The owners show their own crias while Karin acts as Judge and I am Ring Steward. Before the 'show' I discuss the importance of proper halter fit and the basics of leading.

This event showcases the animals progress over the six weeks as well as provides important information regarding showing and gives owners a heads-up regarding their crias response to a show ring environment.

I know it is a lot, but the crias do exceedingly well and the level of nervousness and fear is reduced rather quickly. Best of all they realize that humans can be trusted and are fun!

We had our first Camp Cria graduation on February 24th. They all did so well standing to have their teeth, testicles and fleece looked at! It was a great success and here is one comment I received from an owner/breeder (actually another Guild member!)whose cria attended 'camp':
    "...Don Avante walked confidently beside my wheelchair while Magic took in the sights walking closely by Connie's side. Wow! I couldn't believe this was happening... It was just a few weeks back when haltering either of these boys would have been a job requiring some kind of trap with tricks... I could write a caption for Magic saying "go ahead - make my day!" if approached with a halter or catch rope... In six weeks we attended their graduation and witnessed them stand tall, proud and obey commands in a mock show... We are amazed at the difference in their attitudes and character! We can only say "thanks Tiffany and Karin for doing such a great job at your Camp Cria"

Some pictures from Camp are below. We are offering another Camp Cria on April 9th and will offer these lessons again in January 2008.

Notice in the photos that I used a body wrap. (the top, left photo and bottom, right photo). What a help a body wrap can be!

In the first photo (top,left) the cria is looking into a mirror in the corner on the floor of the arena. I used mirrors during the training to help build confidence, peak their curiosity and keep their focus. I also used a labyrinth, shortened version of a Camelid Cavern of Confidence, weave poles and other miscellaneous items (flags, tarps, hoola hoop).

I'm working on making people cutouts (full-sized) to use for training. Since I often don't have other people around to help cardboard cutouts seem like a good way to simulate an audience and provide new obstacles. Great art project for my girls.

It was a great success and I hope to post photos of the Mock Show, too, but I'm still waiting to receive them from our photographer.

Happy Handling!
    Tiffany

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.