Broken tooth and long teeth

Discussion in 'Medical' started by Alexis Burton, Jun 20, 2023.

1. Alexis Burton

Alexis Burton Associate Member

Some background: Our 2 new alpacas have been waiting on the shearer to come! It's been extremely hard to find someone, let alone someone that could come soon. We finally found someone that comes in our area and he is supposed to be coming at the beginning of July. The old owners hadn't taken care of them in a long time. They are way overdue to be sheared, toenails needed to be clipped and their teeth are extremely long. The shearer will be able to do all of this maintenance for us.
    We had the vet come out to castrate them so she clipped their nails and trimmed their teeth a bit but she was worried that their pulp was high and it would hurt them. Fast forward to now, our one male was chewing on the metal gate bolt and chipped his tooth. It was bloody and it's jagged now. Im not sure if he's bored, or if he's sick of his teeth being so long. I talked to a vet and they confirmed he would be sore but it would be okay. I do as much as I can to keep them from being bored and go out everyday in the pen with them.

So my question is, has anyone had experience with overgrown teeth? Is it something that the shearers can take down into the pulp to get them back into normal shape?

We are really trying to take care of them the best we can!!
    Here are two photos from when we got them in April, for reference.

https://imgur.com/4JVT6Lz
    https://imgur.com/HFMSMxs

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Alexis Burton

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. marty mcgee bennett

5. Alexis Burton

6. marty mcgee bennett