Blood Draw Results

Discussion in 'Medical' started by AnimalMom, Feb 12, 2024.

1. AnimalMom

AnimalMom Associate Member

Hello Marty,
    I have a 7 year old female llama, Dottie, that is very thin. The vet does not have a scale but I can feel the bones in her hips and spine. November 2023 she was treated for worms and for unbalanced gut bacteria. The vet explained since her gut bacteria was off, she wasn't getting any nutrition thus the weight loss.
    (She has been thin ever since I got her 2 years ago. Unfortunately I didn't notice how thin until she was sheared 10 months after I got her. At first the vet suspected stress and recommended extra hay/pellets which I've been doing close to 9 months.)
    Dottie has had 2 fecals since December 2023 and both came back negative and her gut bacteria was good. The vet drew blood a couple of weeks ago and he had several areas of concern. This vet is not very knowledgeable with camelids and he sent the results off to a California university suspecting she may have a certain type of fungus that is common in California and west Texas. Its been a week and it could be 2 more weeks before we hear a response.
    I'd like to ask your opinion of these results. Do you have knowledge of her "red markers"? Do you have any suggestions/recommendations while I wait for an answer? Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Melissa Winkley

Attached Files:

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Nanci Richards

Nanci Richards CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. marty mcgee bennett

5. AnimalMom

6. AnimalMom

7. Nanci Richards

Nanci Richards CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

8. AnimalMom

9. AnimalMom

10. marty mcgee bennett