Alpaca refusing her cria to nurse

Discussion in 'Medical' started by spacecadet, Jun 9, 2023.

1. spacecadet

spacecadet Associate Member

This morning I noticed a dam of almost two week old cria was not letting her nurse. The dam let her latch on briefly at one point but walked away and later on would just move if the cria attempted to go under. The cria presented as calm and did not show any distress in being hungry and was not persisting to nurse. She has been putting on weight although I have not weighted her yesterday or today. Dam's utter seems fuller than usual. I don't see any redness. The dam was humming a lot and lifted her leg a few times as if she wanted to touch her utter with her knee. It seems like she is uncomfortable at least.
    Could this be mastitis or might there be other reasons for this behavior?

I am planning to call our vet and see if I can get any help. But wanted to see what alpaca experts here think.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. spacecadet

spacecadet Associate Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. jchickering

jchickering CAMELIDynamics Consultant

5. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator