3 month old orphaned cria. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Medical' started by Terena, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Terena

Terena Associate Member

I have always had male alpaca, but when I was down to my last male due to mountain lion predation, I promised him a wife if he lived through his attack. Fast forward a year and a half and I acquire four more adult alpaca (3 girls and an ABS male). Two of the three girls dropped babies in September much to my surprise. I know nothing about girls or crias, but I have been reading everything I can get my hands on including joining your guild for the year.
    Here is my problem.

I now have a 3 month old orphaned male alpaca cria and need to know how to properly care for him. He got no prenatal care (it was a neglect case from an owner that went into the dementia unit at her local nursing home), but I know he got colostrum and was suckling until his dam died unexpectedly (to us) yesterday morning. She was ALWAYS emaciated and HUNGRY. The other girls are keeping weight on fine. Fecal tests didn't indicate parasites, so we justified it to years of poor management while pregnant and then nursing, but have no necropsy since it was below zero here in Colorado when mamma died.

The little cria boy is nibbling hay. His stools are normal. I have not seen him drink water, but there is fluid water available to him that he can easily reach. I have another dam with an older baby, but she is the one that needs the most gentle handling, so forcing a baby on her might not go over well. I have not yet weighed him or taken his temperature, since I haven't had my hands on him since I iodined his naval three months ago.

What should I do? I want this little guy to thrive as best we can. Will he stay warm enough in our cold weather without his dam? He has a good "uncle" that takes him in and good cover from wind and moisture.
    I plan to build the catch pen today so I can feed him pelleted food (alfalfa and Mazuri Performance pellets) a few times a day. I have calf milk replacer and bottles on hand, but I think trying to handle him to bottle feed might super stress him out. I have dairy goats, but none are in milk yet (soon to be) and I can't imagine they'll hold still while the little guy suckles (but we could work on that!).

I know its the holidays and you're all probably screaming busy like the rest of us, but when you have a minute, I'd love any info anyone might have. I am NEW to Crias, but especially new at orphaned Crias. I have experience with LOTS of other baby species (calves, kids, foals, chicks and poults as well as litters of kittens and puppies) and have decades of general animal experience. In fact my whole life has been in the pursuit of animal knowledge. I need to know what to do with this little guy NOW so he can make it through more below zero weather.

Thank you for your time.

2. jchickering

jchickering CAMELIDynamics Consultant

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Terena

Terena Associate Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. jchickering

jchickering CAMELIDynamics Consultant

5. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

6. Terena

Terena Associate Member

7. marty mcgee bennett

8. docdennis

docdennis Associate Member

9. marty mcgee bennett

10. Terena

Terena Associate Member