Camel with a runny nose

Discussion in 'Medical' started by HarmonyFarm, Feb 21, 2018.

1. HarmonyFarm

HarmonyFarm Member

Hi there
    I have recently taken on an ex packing camel. Female/9yo,
    She has a very runny nose, white sticky mucous. She also appears to be unable to breathe through her nose, she mouth breathes with considerable puffing out of her cheeks.
    She has apparently been like this for 5 years with numerous vets unable to find a cause.
    I am going to start from scratch with trying to find the poor girl a solution.
    She has a wooden (it looks like) nose peg but in a dreadful position. Has anyone removed pegs before? I assume it is to be done under anesthetic and after Xray to see where is it placed?
    She has apparently had every type of antibiotics under the sun and is wormed and vaccinated.
    Would a course of antihisthamines be a good idea given that it apparently "sometimes goes away".

She has been with me for two days and already the runny nose is much improved, all I have done is protect her face from flies (with SWAT) and have given her copious high and low feed (she is very very skinny) and a calm quiet area to roam. She still cant seem to nose breathe though.

I believe you can give camels benadryl liquid - would anyone be able to confirm and to advise the dose rate?

We have no large animal vets out here and are working with a small animal vet and google.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Nanci Richards

Nanci Richards CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. HarmonyFarm

HarmonyFarm Member

5. HarmonyFarm

HarmonyFarm Member