Loving CAMELIDynamics Online Courses!

Discussion in 'Online Courses' started by Tawney, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Tawney

Tawney Guest

Awhile ago, I ordered the CAMELIDynamics training and handling kit, and I’ve been studying and working through the Companion book, as well as, taking the online classes. But, I haven’t had a chance to practice, even on a human.

Well, one of my alpaca boys got out last week. At first, I just tried to herd him with my arms over to a gate opening, then I tried luring him with a bucket of grain. Both did not work...especially since he’s one of the boys that won’t eat out of my hand. I called inside the house and had my daughter bring out my CAMELIDynamics training kit. I didn’t want his first experience with the wand and catch rope to be this haphazard, but it was necessary and it turned out GREAT!!

We were in an area bigger than a catch pen, but thankfully he didn’t wander away from his buddies, so he stayed in a pretty specific area. I got my wand ready and got him in a position where I could come around the back of his head with the catch rope. After getting the rope around his neck, I took the wand off, and gently talked to him, while I took up the slack in the rope. He freaked out a couple of times, by rearing and bucking with the catch rope on, but it was very brief. Had I been in a catch pen, I would not have pushed the issue, but I needed to get him back in the pasture quickly (I had to leave the farm and time was ticking), so I stood still and loosely held the ropes while he “did his thing.”

Once he was done, I had my daughter come up from behind and gently nudge his butt while I made “click” sounds with my mouth, and slightly, but quickly tugged the catch rope, as if I was leading one of our horses. We got him to walk forward for a little bit, then he stopped. This next scenario is the best part...

My daughter suggested we let him just stand still for a minute. I agreed, so we took a short break from moving forward. During this time, I took a deep breath, checked my stance, and the pressure on the ropes to make sure I wasn’t pulling down on his neck. Then I thought - TTouch!!! So, I did a few little “Clouded Leopards” down the back and sides of his neck. Well, he obviously enjoyed it, because his ears relaxed, his tail relaxed slightly, and when I started to guide him again, over to the gate opening, he walked like a CHAMP!!

He had been a show alpaca years ago at a different farm, but when he came to my farm, none of those skills were nurtured, because I didn't know how to proceed...but now I DO!!

My vision is to start an alpaca Ministry by visiting nursing homes, children’s hospitals, schools, etc. and bring unique joy to someone’s day. So, to have this situation work out so well in such a short time, without the ideal environment, and NO practice...just blows me away! I am ecstatic!!

I don’t claim to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I know I’m not the dimmest either. So, for me to be able to take what I have studied so far in CAMELIDynamics and apply it in an “crisis” situation, just shows what a great instructor Marty is and what an amazing course CAMELIDynamics is!! She not only tells you WHAT to do to become better handlers, but HOW to do it and WHY. I love that CAMELIDynamics is sprinkled with fun and entertaining videos, and lots of encouragement, so when the handler-in-training, begins to doubt their abilities, they can recall those segments and realize...YES...I CAN do this!

THANK YOU, Marty, for sharing your abundant knowledge and years of experience with others, so they can have a positive and meaningful relationship with their alpacas and llamas.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.