llamas and alpacas

Discussion in 'Behavioral Challenges' started by Cpschmid, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Cpschmid

Cpschmid New Member

Hi Marty—
    I have a (hopefully) quick question on llama behavior. I sold three alpacas to a family that had lamas, but were down to one remaining. She had been on her own for a while before they brought the alpacas home. The lama is not been handled, but the girls have been working to handle the alpacas regularly. They have a ton of acreage that the graze in the day and they keep them in a pen together at night.
    About half an hour before sunset, on some days, the llama mounts the alpacas. One of the alpacas tends to drop and she is open. The other resists then drops. She has been bred one time to an unproven boy. I have not confirmed her pregnancy as of yet. I am thinking this behavior is related to the readiness to breed— that 7 day cycle?
    Or, is this a dominance behavior since the llama has been there for years and the new kids on the block need to know their place?
    Is it the romance of sunset?
    Thanks for any additional insight! The alpacas are all adults of good size and the llama is average in size. I don’t think the llama can hurt them, right?
    Smiles from California,
    Charlene Schmid
    Integrity Alpacas & Fiber

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.