Getting alpacas to stand still and obstacle course questions

Discussion in 'Showing' started by lisanna71, Mar 6, 2016.

1. lisanna71

lisanna71 New Member

Hello!

My daughter, Faith, finished her first halter show in February, and she showed 2 alpacas. Both alpacas did very well walking in the ring and did pretty well standing still when the judge was looking at their fleece. Their problem was in moving constantly while waiting in the ring as the other alpacas were being judged. One alpaca in particular, Cupid, constantly "danced" around, making it nearly impossible for Faith to get him in the proper stance while waiting. How can we get them to stand still while waiting for their turn? We have Faith's 2nd show in a couple of weeks, so we'd love any advice.

Also, we are working on obstacle course training for the next show -- we've never done that before. I think we're getting most of the obstacles pretty well, but we're not sure on a few of the terms in the rule book and were wondering if you could explain. What is:
    *A haunch turn
    * A forehand turn
    *Side pass over rail on ground, one direction (easy) both directions (medium)

Last question -- Faith has to get her alpaca to back up straight 5 steps, then change directions and back up 5 more steps. We're having a little trouble with this one...what's a good way to teach Cupid to do this?

Thank you SO much for your help -- we have lots of questions! We are still new to alpacas and have had ours less than a year, but we LOVE them!! It has been a wonderful thing for my daughter and I to do together. Our first baby (alpaca!) is due in April, and we are so excited!

Sincerely,

Melissa

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Cindy R

Cindy R CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. marty mcgee bennett

5. marty mcgee bennett