Wild Child :-O

Discussion in 'Herding & Catching' started by CharlieCat, Sep 4, 2017.

1. CharlieCat

CharlieCat Active Member

I just started working with an adult female alpaca who hasn't been worked with much - if at all.
    The 1st day, I just tried doing the escape route, but she was totally freaked out and would not stop "frantically" moving.
    Since she was totally freaked out, I figured the next time, I would just get in the catch pen with her and just "be" there, and not try to "do" anything...hoping to at least get her used to my presence. I sat on a little stool in the corner of the pen - for about 10 minutes or so. She was still freaked out the whole time & did the "frantic pacing" thing again.
    I had another alpaca in the pen with her both times, and there were alpacas in the adjoining pens on both sides.
    I even put a small handful of grain in one corner and she showed no interest in it at all.
    Next time, I'm going to put more alpacas in the pen with her. Other than that, any ideas on how to calm her down?

2. jchickering

jchickering CAMELIDynamics Consultant

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. CharlieCat

CharlieCat Active Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. jchickering

jchickering CAMELIDynamics Consultant