Sudden aggression

Discussion in 'Behavioral Challenges' started by JackieJones, Jun 11, 2017.

1. JackieJones

JackieJones New Member

I have something odd going on with one of my alpacas. In the last 48 hours one of my older non-breeding alpha males (he's about 11) has become suddenly aggressive toward all of my other males. I ran it by my breeder and she has no idea what could be causing it. I thought maybe you have come across something like this before.

He's been standing on his back legs, clucking at the fence line, he is running at full speed chasing and aggressively biting the other boys. He has no interest in the girls and he hasnt had any aggression toward people. He's on high alert with all the males. It's like he had a huge surge of adrenaline or testosterone.

I've owned him for a year and never has he ever done anything like this before. It's so bad I have to put him in a pasture alone. I can't even put him with my older gelding who gets along with everyone. Anytime any of the males come near the fence line he goes crazy and starts running back and forth like crazy. I tried moving all of the boys including him into our large open pasture and he still tries to attack anyone he can catch.

I'm at such a loss and worried he may not go back to normal. Any thoughts?
    Thanks so much,
    Jackie Jones

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. JackieJones

JackieJones New Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. marty mcgee bennett

5. Daniela

Daniela Member

6. marty mcgee bennett