Advice Breeding Grey to White

Discussion in 'Husbandry' started by jchickering, Jun 6, 2017.

1. jchickering

jchickering CAMELIDynamics Consultant

Hope someone can offer advice. I have a grey male and a white female I would like to breed, but I have to admit, the information out there about the danger of getting a blue-eyed white as a result is confusing at best. There are plenty of reasons I would like to see what they could produce. The boy is a dark silver grey, a fleece machine, with 4Peruvian Legacy, El NIno and Caligula in his background. The girl has beautiful fleece, and has K-2, Hemingway and Vengador in her background. So I am tempted to try this union. The girl does have some color on the sire's side - his mom's parents were beige and dark fawn.

I have no one else in my herd that this boy can breed to, and he is yet unproven. I would like to get something out of his genes. Likewise, the girl is related to all of the others in the herd, so he is the only option in herd. I'm not too keen on finding her an outside stud this year. I realize it sounds like I have already made up my mind... ;-)

Any opinions or advice?

Thanks,

John in NH Alpaca East

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.