Preparing for shows...

Discussion in 'Showing' started by Ann Marie, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Ann Marie

Ann Marie CAMELIDynamics Senior Consultant

Hello!
    Just some comments on the latest CAMELIDynamics Guild MEMBER Newsletter February 4, 2017, with the title Don't make your camelids crazy before the show!

You had many good suggestions there, Marty! Loads of people need to know how to treat their alpacas during shows. Or before the shows. The year 2012 was the last show we attended and we do not plan to start again of many different reasons (bio security is one and the fact that alpacas are not really loving shows another but there are more...). But I always was amazed what people did to their animals during shows, most of the time without realizing what they actually did. What often was upsetting me were alpacas that were cushing. And then the owners got very nervous and were punishing the poor alpacas. They claimed the alpaca “had a bad” day when it “behaved badly” - when it actually was not sufficiently trained. I have never seen a well handled alpaca having a bad day. People do not train their alpacas correctly. Or in time. Or are just far too lazy to do it as it actually takes time. I think judges should give more credit to well behaved alpacas, not only looking at the fleece.

And I totally agree what you say about halters. I would even add that alpacas should never wear halters in the pen except for a few minutes before entering the ring. If it is very difficult to halter the alpacas then they are not ready for the show! And I totally agree that talking on the phone leading the alpaca is just as disrespectful as constantly talking on the phone being with children.

We are SO glad we have left the whole show circus. And our alpacas are also very happy. Fleece shows are much better! :)

OneTreeFarms likes this.
  2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Ame Hinson

Ame Hinson Associate Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

5. Ame Hinson

Ame Hinson Associate Member