My Alpacas are eating their bedding!

Discussion in 'Herd Maintenance' started by Marta Blaze, Jan 12, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Marta Blaze

Marta Blaze Member

Winter is upon us and I am feeding my alpacas hay and alpaca pellets plus hay for their evening meal. Once a week I also give them shredded carrots and beets. I have to close up the barn during the day though otherwise they go in there and eat their bedding which is straw! I have never heard of this happening. They look healthy, I did my research on how much hay to give them so i'm stumped. My thinking is that they're either still hungry or bored. Not all of them do this just 3 out of the 7. Am I missing something? I'm giving them about 2 to 3 pounds of hay per alpaca per day - diving it over 3 times per day. Do some people just leave bales of hay out and they can have a free for all?

2. PacaPoodles Mom

PacaPoodles Mom CAMELIDynamics Consultant

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Marta Blaze

Marta Blaze Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

4. PacaPoodles Mom

PacaPoodles Mom CAMELIDynamics Consultant