Results of clicker and target training: Shearing the lower legs.

Discussion in 'Applied Behavior Analysis / Clicker Training' started by Pacahen, May 13, 2023.

1. Pacahen

Pacahen Well-Known Member

Please enjoy this video clip. This alpaca is highly food motivated so that really helps.
    Short story: This alpaca was taught through target and clicker training to learn quickly what I want him to do. This alpaca learned that when I say "foot" I'm going to pick his foot up and when I say "down" I'm going to put it carefully down. No surprises, just treats.

Long Story: This alpaca was originally taught to "cush" with downward pressure and by tapping his legs. So in addition to being naturally twitchy about their legs, everything about leg trimming and putting my hand on his back to weight his leg was giving him the signal to cush.
    I previously posted a video of him Going around in circles and cushing on command. There was some question about how this would be useful.
    I retrained him to cush with a clicker in response to a hand signal and a verbal command. Then I also taught him to get up by saying "Up" and a hand signal.
    I taught him to follow a target and eventually to "go around" in response to a verbal cue and hand command. him to "go around" .
    Back to leg shearing. We used his willingness to follow a target to get him into a good position. He has no halter on, the catch rope is there in case he wanders off. My husband obediently gives im a small treat every time I say the word "Good".
    I hoped that making use of the "Up" command would help him learn that I did not want him to cush when I touch his legs. When he stopped doing his little cush stamps I would click and say "good". He got it pretty quickly and I slowly worked down the legs until he could have my hand resting on his leg and not move it. It was harder when I got down to his knee. So I would lift his foot and say "foot" and then put it right down again. Soon he would let me pick up is foot and stand while his leg rested on my knee and I could use both hands to trim his lower legs. Always I would say "down" as I lower the foot down". If he felt like he was uncomfortable I would aslo put his foot down. I am super happy and proud of him.

2. marty mcgee bennett

marty mcgee bennett Administrator

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.

3. Pacahen

Pacahen Well-Known Member

Register an account for our forums so you can see replies and comments plus be able to partisipate in the CAMELIDynamics community.